Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Tuesday 5: Be Royal Edition

1. Who’s Dorothy Gale rooting for in the World Series? Yes, I lived near Monterey Bay when the Giants won the Series in 2010, and I LOVE the Bay Area. The answer is easy: the Royals, of course. I have said it before, and I’ll say it again, most of the time, it’s really tough being a fan of professional sports when you cheer for Kansas City. Once, my mother and father bought The International Man of Intrigue a new Chiefs shirt for Christmas. They were kind enough to include a paper bag with eye holes cut out as the perfect accessory. So, even though I’m not the biggest fan of baseball, I am super excited for the World Series, “‘Cause it’s root, root, root for the home team!…” I also have a special place in my heart for the KC team that last won the World Series back in 1985 because superstar George Brett and I share a birthday. That led to a chance meeting between yours truly, Dorothy Gale, and the superstar Brett once at a Kansas City Chiefs Football game. That’s a story for another day, though, Fellow Adventurers…

2. Every morning, on the way to school, I lead the Little Explorers in a prayer. Everyone gets a chance to say a little something and then we pray the “Angel of God” prayer together. This morning, Arthur Dent’s prayer was classic. He was attempting to put socks on as he prayed. “Dear God, thank you for this awesome and cool day. Thank you for cool stuff. AND THANK YOU FOR THESE STUPID SOCKS! AAAGH. AMEN.”

3. This week I have had the opportunity to take meals to friends who needed a little help. One was joyous, the birth of a new baby, and one was sad. One thing I’ve learned over the years is to bring meals in disposable containers if you can afford it. The couple of extra bucks to take things in foil and cheap ziplock containers is worth it. The last thing you need as a new mommy or someone dealing with illness or loss is to have to wash and keep straight a bunch of dishes and then figure out who to return them to. What’s your go-to meal to take to someone? I have a couple. This time it was Santa Fe Soup with chips, cheese, and sour cream, and a pan of dark chocolate brownies. Sometimes I make baked ziti or enchiladas. 

4. Someone asked me recently how I have so much time to read with four Little Explorers running around and a messy house. I told them the truth: I once read that kids who see their parents reading are more likely to become avid readers themselves. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it, even though I have, at one time or another, pulled a book out from underneath the head of a sleeping Little Explorer. They are all voracious readers, well, almost. As Arthur Dent reminds me every time I tell him to go read a book for a while, “MAMA, YOU KNOW I CAN’T READ YET!”


5. Tomorrow is Diwali. It’s the Hindu festival of lights. I want to go dig up the blue Christmas lights from the garage, because, hey, Diwali and the Royals in the World Series. On that note, Trisha Yearwood just finished doing a lovely job singing the National Anthem. I have to go watch the game. #BeRoyal #BlueOctober

No comments:

Post a Comment