Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tuesday 5: Never Ending Basket Edition

1. So, apparently yesterday was Prematurity Awareness Day. I wasn’t aware. The month of November is also Adoption Awareness Month. Coincidence that this is the month we celebrate Laura Ingalls Wilder’s birthday this month, since she was adopted and a 2 lb 7 oz preemie? I think not!

2. Today The International Man of Intrigue and I got to guest lecture for a friend’s college class via video teleconference. It was fun! Maybe I should get my doctorate and subject 18 and 19 year olds to listening to me talk every day!

3. The other day, The International Man of Intrigue finished folding a basket of laundry. I quipped, “Need a refill?” It occurred to me that our laundry basket is like a basket of breadsticks at Olive Garden. It keeps getting refilled, whether you want more or not. 


4. If you could remove a “traditional” food from the Thanksgiving day menu, what would it be? The beauty of being a military family and moving all the time is that we generally have thanksgiving with different people every couple of years. It means we get to add new dishes to our repertoire and ditch ones no one really cares about. This year, we are actually spending Thanksgiving with the same people we did last year: The Brits and The Other Intrigues. (Yes, our neighbors have the same last name as we do, and the husband works one office over from The International Man of Intrigue!) The Other Mrs. Intrigue makes creamed onions, which are super yummy, but I haven’t really had before. We have decided to ban green bean casserole because no one really wants to waste calories on it. Sweet potatoes are still on the menu, but they may get the axe as well. We just decided if we’re going to eat decadent food, we shouldn’t waste space on our plates or in our stomachs on food we don’t love. So, let’s hear it, which food would you take off the table this Thanksgiving?

5. I have this fabric, it looks like notebook paper. I want to stitch a quote on it and then sew it into a pillow. I can't decide what it should say, though. I'd like it to be something inspirational. I'd also like it to be something worth drilling into the Little Explorers' heads, since if they look at it every time they pick it up, they're likely to memorize it, if not take it to heart.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly,if I removed any item from Thanksgiving, it would be the corn or green bean casserole. But never, under any circumstances, my Mom's turkey gravy. That stuff is liquid gold! MMmmmmm.

    As for a quote, I love a lot of literary quotes, obvs. Maybe there's one by Laura Ingalls Wilder, (not yours) that would work about strength and courage?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey? Okay, no, I like the leftovers for sandwiches and pot pies. I love all the veggie sides and the whole buffet approach to the meal. I'd rather get rid of PiE and just have more wine and some good dark chocolate. Maybe have a Turkey Day Dessert buffet a week later!
    Inspirational quotes:
    Reach for the stars...but first, clean up your room
    Let music feed your soul, Laughter lift your spirit and joy fill your heart (just made that one up!)

    ReplyDelete