Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Tuesday 5: Of Game Shows and Russian Literature

1. A few days ago, I decided it was time to measure the Little Explorers. Since we move all the time, we have a handy canvas banner-style wall hanging that we can move with us. This time, I had to measure Amelia Earhart and Gertrude Bell twice. Amelia Earhart remains about average height and weight for her age. Amelia Earhart is just under two years older than Gertrude Bell, but they’ve often been mistaken for twins, due to the fact that Gertrude Bell is tall for her age. Still, she’s always been at least several inches shorter than Amelia Earhart. Not now. After measuring, and measuring again, she is exactly one half of an inch shorter than Amelia Earhart. Wow. She also has long skinny fingers and would probably make a great basketball player. She'll probably need extensive practice, though. Right now, she usually wins at dodge ball in PE because she is good at getting out of the way, and also at getting hit in the head so the other kid is automatically out.

2. The Intrigues love the game show Jeopardy. I’ve loved it since I was a kid and it was on in the afternoon after I got home from school. My senior year of college, I lived with eight other girls. We were hard partiers and avid Jeopardy watchers. Every night, we went down to the cafeteria right after Final Jeopardy and not a minute before. On Fridays, this usually involved being a few beers in before diner. The Intrigues watch Jeopardy every night. The International Man of Intrigue and I maintain that we would be a force to be reckoned with if they ever institute a Couples Jeopardy Tournament. 

3. The point of #2 was really tonight’s Final Jeopardy question. It was, “Interestingly, at the start of this novel, Prince Oblonsky, the title character's brother, has been unfaithful.” I rolled my eyes and sighed, “What is Anna Karenina?” I know many of my Fellow Adventurers really love that book. I’ve never actually read it. Well, let me qualify that. I’ve never read the whole thing. I immediately knew the Final Jeopardy answer because I’ve read the beginning at least four times. For me, Anna Karenina is like a giant hill. The first time I tried to read it, I didn’t know what I was getting into and just started reading. I didn’t get very far. The next time, I decided it was time to finish it, but since it had been a while, I knew I needed to start over. I got a little further that time before throwing in the towel. Much like a giant hill needs a running start, I kept working up to it and kept getting a little further, but failing to make it to the top. The last time I tried to read it was only a year and a half or so ago. This time, I was determined to do it. I set my resolve firmly, I took a running start. I got 35 percent finished and rolled back down the hill. Spoiler Alert: I know she ends up having an affair with that self centered officer guy and then tosses herself in front of a train. I just can’t bring myself to care. Sorry, Tolstoy.

4. In my quest to lose some lbs and get back in shape, I’ve decided to start working out in the morning. Previously, I was trying to exercise while Amelia Earhart and Gertrude Bell are at school and after I put Laura Ingalls Wilder down for a nap. This involved me bribing Arthur Dent with cartoons or games on my iPad and some appetizers to go with, and then afterward admonishing him to “NEVER, EVER, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, answer the door without Mama there, because I JUST NEED A FIVE MINUTE SHOWER, OK? I’LL BE RIGHT BACK!” So, anyway, working out in the morning seemed less stressful. The International Man of Intrigue was kind enough to move the super squeaky imitation Tony Little Gazelle Glider up to our room so I could shut the door and maybe the Little Explorers will stay asleep while I work out, provided they are either really tired or I shove cotton balls in their ears to muffle my fake Gazelle’s screeching. Yesterday went pretty well. Arthur Dent burst through the door halfway through my workout, leaving said door open so the squeaking of the Gazelle could carry and rouse the rest of the Little Explorers. Amelia Earhart stumbled into my room, looking tired and confused, then crawled into my bed and covered her head with a pillow. The workout itself wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t up to my normal intensity. I think it took my brain half of my workout time to figure out what was going on and pick up the pace. I am not what you’d call a morning person. In any case, the workouts will continue. I’m down three pounds in two weeks and I’d like to keep or pick up the momentum.


5. That, my friends, brings us to the end of the Random 5 for the week. I’m off to pack Amelia Earhart’s lunch for her field trip tomorrow and also prep the crock pot for tomorrow’s dinner. I’m trying a Pinterest recipe for bourbon chicken. What are your favorite HEALTHY (no cream-of-whatever) crockpot or freezer recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment